IT Index | Academic Commons
Recent statistics posted by Peter Schilling, Director of IT at Amherst College in MA reveals some interesting habits and some predicted ones as well. The study was on their incoming freshman class. Although it was a total of only 438, the percentage indicators did reveal specific movements in mobile and also how much “noise” is out there when it comes to spam. Here is a preview:
• Apple will sure love these stats. Approximately 1 out of every 2 students had either an iPhone or an iTouch.
• Total of students on campus that have a land line…5.
• Of the four classes currently on campus, the classes of 2009 and 2010 are more likely to own Windows, while the classes of 2011 and 2012 are more likely to own Macs.
• Average number of emails received per day: 180,000. Percentage that is spam: 94%
• Candidates for administrative and staff job openings who applied through the College’s web-based job applicant system in the first 10 months it was available: 4,037. Job applicants interviewed for 12 openings in IT in the last year who learned about our positions through postings in regional, national, or professional, publications, websites, or lists: 1